For some reason, I agreed to play during the observance on the base this year. I had sworn to avoid public performances since my last time.
It was simply a recital with not many people present. I was calm and confident. I was looking forward to playing Bach's Partita III for Violin solo in E. I had played it many times and was quite fond of it. Then it happened. In the middle of the performance I dropped my violin.
Mortified... That is what I was. It was then I swore never to play publicly again.
What possessed me to agree to play again in public is unknown to me. As I took the stage I was gripped with terror. My hands trembled. Thankfully, I was not to sing for I had no breath to do so. I took precautions against dropping my violin again. Not only did I rosin my bow, but my hands as well. I looked quite odd in an evening dress with white hands. I even struggled momentarily to get my violin beneath my cheek. The violin's creator surely would have repossessed his handiwork upon seeing my clumsiness.
I fear I took too long to gather myself to play. I struggled to find that place where I could be alone in my mind. Eventually I did find it though it felt as if several minutes had passed.
I played. I did not drop my violin. I am not satisfied with the results. In too many places the notes were unclear and rushed. If I am to play this again, I must work harder on those portions I rushed.
Lt said it was good. I asked him how I could trust the word of one who not did not know the difference from a violin and a viola but was also married to me and wishes for me to feel good of the performance. If you like, you may be the judge.
Thank you for posting this.
ReplyDeleteI have a good ear (I have played the guitar and piano since I was a small child and can play and recreate things I hear) and I think your performance was good. I think focusing on miniscule arguable mistakes and not the entire gestalt leads to dissatisfaction. One always strives to do better but must also be happy and joyful with their current accomplishments.
The solo was lovely. Sublime to listen to.
I'm sure you did fantastic!!
ReplyDeleteYou sounded great. Very impressed. This is coming from another violinist ;=)
ReplyDeleteI think you played amazingly! My 5month old loved it too, she got very attentive when I played it.
ReplyDelete