The day comes closer. I find myself thinking of it more. Not the simple anticipation of a bride to be. It is more.
My friends will tell me I am worthy of him. But by what measure do they think this? What is it I have done that makes it so? I do not believe my mere existence is enough. Each person exists so that can not be considered something unique and thus making me more worthy than any other woman. It can not be that I am Chinese. I am told there is a general preference with American men for asian women so I am not unique in that considering there are several billion of us. I am reduced to believing it is because of his choice.
I worry that I am a good bride. It is important for me to be so. How can I hope to be happy if my husband is not. But it is more than that. There is the family ideals of a bride I must live up to. Mother has no reservations of telling me those things that are expected and that I lack. She is not cruel. She is telling me of what she believes I must know to make a husband happy.
I must say here that many American women have told me this idea making my husband happy is incorrect. They have said I have a submissive attitude and that I will allow anything just to please my husband. This is not so. It is simple math. If he is happy, I am happy. If I see to his happiness, he will see to mine. It is not about me only. It is not about him only. Forgive me if this offends you but I think many American women are full of silly ideas of the matter. Why would a husband work for your happiness if you only receive but never give? It is silliness to think such a thing.
I will not allow anything. I will not be abused in any way for his happiness. My Coastie has met my temper and does not wish to see it. ;) Beside that, he is generous with his time and himself. He is gentle and caring to me but he also has shown his temper to those who have earned it.
But happiness for us is important to me. I do not wish to become another divorce statistic. It is this that has caused me to carefully examine this man for his character. It is this that causes me to worry of making a good bride.
I think it is common to wonder of good life. Everyone wishes to have one. I believe that in this case it is only anticipation of the future that causes me to think of it. I am certain life will not follow my school girl fantasy script. I am certain there will be troubles. I am hopeful the happy moments are more than the troubles.
I know it is because of the nearing wedding that think these thoughts now. I am sure more will arise as the day becomes nearer.
PS I must trim myself. My dress does not fit so well. It is small. My Coastie laughs and tells me it is "fine." I tell him it will not be so "fine" if I am overly displayed because of an over-stressed seam during the wedding. He laughs only harder at this. Perhaps I will weaken a seam or two of his trousers. Let us see if that is funny for him. While we wait, I will exercise.
Yes, we call this the "wedding jitters". It is common to worry about how happy you will be, and if you are doing the right thing. You are. You deserve him because you are you, and he loves you. Yes, there will be hard times, but hopefully the happy times will be more frequent. I agree that Americans have a skewed idea about happiness. They want to be MADE happy before they try to help anyone else be happy. They do not understand the concept of serving others first.. That's probably a big reason our divorce rate is so high! I think you are ready to be a wife, with as much as I know you..
ReplyDeletehugs, and good wishes..
Jean
i wish you the very best for you deserve only that. there will be tough time ahead. but from what i've gathered, you are such a tender hearted and smart girl. you will face them with grace.
ReplyDeletebtw, you must tell us what's on wedding banquet menu.
you are a sweet loving soul. You and your Coastie will have a wonderful life together. Good, bad, hard, easy--you'll share it together and in the end when you are old you will smile and say, "we did well".
ReplyDeleteWell said. I agree with you 100%. We are made to be pleasing and caring, and if we do that (which is pretty easy), our husbands will have no reservations tending to us in the most amazing ways.
ReplyDeleteI also refuse to become a divorce statistic.
Go marriage!
Each table will have tea, wine, and 7-Up. Each of these is chosen for a purpose. The tea is served as a sign of respect. Alcohol is commonly served at Chinese affairs. We have chosen wine so there are no "incidents" from too much drink. 7-Up is served because it sounds like "seven happiness," since the words "up" and "happiness" are homophones.
ReplyDeleteCourse 1 - Cold Cut Platter: combination of Chinese cold cuts, jelly fish, and roast pork
Course 2 - Bird's Nest: Sauteed seafood served in "Bird's Nest" made of Taro
Course 3 - Imperial Steak
Course 4 - Shrimp with Walnut Cream Sauce
Course 5 - Shark Fin Soup - symbolizes wealth and prosperity
Course 6 - Twin Lobster: literally translated "dragon shrimp." In marriage the dragon symbolizes the man, the shrimp the woman.
Course 7 - Crispy Chicken: Wishes the couple a good life because in Chinese, "red chicken" sounds like good life. Serving it whole, with all parts including the head and feet, symbolizes completeness but we will not serve it so. We believe it would be unsettling for those not accustomed to seeing it.
Course 8 - Whole Fish: wishes the couple a life of abundance because "fish" sounds like "plentiful" in Chinese.
Course 9 - Cakes with orange slices and grapes
Good weeding :)
ReplyDeleteMaria
http://linguajandemportugues.blogspot.com
First, I can't figure out if you've mentioned the wedding date in the past. You're probably married by now!
ReplyDeleteSecond, your nine courses sound wonderful. And ambitious! But what kind of wine?
Third, have you never had incidents with wine?
Finally, I'm happy for you. I wish I could be there.
Enjoy it as much as you possibly can, my friend.
July 26. Four days. I have assigned the wines to the caterer. She is well versed in wines. Beyond people being silly, there have been no "incidences" with wine being served. I have been to weddings where liquor was served that was traumatic for the bride and groom.
ReplyDelete我是来自中国四川成都的
ReplyDelete