Pages

Friday, November 21, 2025

The Latest and a Whine

 

Today was “College and Career Day” at the school. I got to represent fields in computer sciences. Having worked at Intel when I first arrived in America was definitely a good thing since I still have friends that have survived the downsizing flurry a few years ago. They were an excellent source of information about the current state of employment in the computer manufacturing industry.

I was surprised at how popular my table seemed to be. There was a steady stream of students seriously inquiring about the field with very pointed questions that indicated they were not simply using the time they had to be there. Well...not HAD to be. They had the option of being in study hall. In all, I would say the day was very productive and informative for the students.

They say, “Find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life.” I love being a teacher. Teaching has been such a fulfilling job for me. I have dozens of young adults that trust me to do more than just educate them. I am often privileged to be welcomed into a small portion of their lives when they seek advice or just company during a difficult teenager moment. I love seeing smiles on their faces as we begin our days and when I see them around the base. Someday, I may have to get a “real” job. Today is not that day.

I am pleased to say that Chao lei was the top producer in his troop's fund raising drive. As a result, he will join other scouts from around the bases in Europe for a trip to the Berlin Zoo in the spring. Making sales was not as easy as he at first thought it would be since it was chocolate but he was competing with 25 other scouts. I suppose his Spanish talents served him well since that is where the bulk of his sales originated. He converted the Dollar sales price to Euros, including the adjustment for the currency exchange rate each day. His total sales were $1200.00. That is a lot of chocolate! It is about 800 candy bars. Only ten were sold to my house, I swear!

Jun is still in her dance class. Missing it is not an option. She has a recital Friday. Hopefully I can get some good pictures. The venue they are hosted at usually has large space between the seats and the stage. I do not understand why they do not have seats on the floor closer to the stage since it is just open space. There must be a reason but I have not discovered it yet.

Have you ever wanted to vent but was not permitted to? It is one of the hazards of this military life. Given the tensions in the world today, it is best to remain silent about most things military related. I am baffled by the lack of caution exercised so often by spouses that should know better. You never know who is listening. It is common here to have someone giving uncomfortable amount of attention to your conversation. How often is it beyond mere curiosity of hearing English?

Yes. I realize I sound paranoid but I have a vested interest in this. It is almost as if I am only stealing from a spy novel. For me though, this is real. I sit here tonight with no husband about and sailing where only the Navy knows wondering if he is OK. Praying he is OK. When something does happen and we find out through the local news (which is how we heard of the last event) and ask our command, we are told “We cannot tell you anything.” You can become accustomed to it but you can never get used to it.

When they are underway, if the ombudsman's number shows up on your phone screen, you experience a moment of terror, dreading the reason for the call. Even when you expect the call, there is that briefest surge of dread.

Once, while underway, Jared had left something in his desk at home and asked a co-worker to pick it up and send him a copy. He did not inform me of this request beforehand. Imagine my reaction to seeing two men in whites standing at my door. It did not get better when I opened the door and they asked if they were at Jared's house. I had to hold the door post as my knees were about to give out until they told me their purpose for being there. After they had accomplished there objective, assured me that Jared was OK, and departed, I collapsed to my couch and wept. I do not wish to repeat such an event, even if it is another false alarm. Our phone call after that event, I am sure, there will be no repeat. I think he knew he had made a mistake when he was scolded for 30 minutes... in Mandarin... which he does not speak.

No. Military life is not normal.

1 comment:

  1. That IS a lot of chocolate! Good for him! I hope your husband returns safely to you soon.

    ReplyDelete